Sunday, September 20

Spammers Are Getting Smart... But I'm Smarter! (I Think)

Recently I've been getting tired of the amount of spam in my folder on Gmail, so I decided to create one of those spiffy filters that sends all those annoying people straight to the trash. All in one go, those spammers were demoted to the trash where I don't see them. Sounds good, right? Only problem - my own sent mail was being sent to the trash as well. I wondered why and went into my filters to see my own email address in my spam filters and thought it nothing much as a pure accident until today where I saw spam in my inbox for the first time in months. From my own email address. I panicked a bit, thinking that my account was hacked, but there's no way anyone could have downloaded a keylogger onto my computer. Besides, I have it where my password is protected from those type of programs, should the rare occurrence that one would happen upon my precious baby. When I came to my senses, I saw that the sender had a different name as the sender, instead of my own. Immediately, I made a filter and sent that sucker to the trash. But then I thought - if that one person could do it, so could anyone else. Smartly, I made a filter on my own email address BUT I made an exception with my name and a signature I will put in the email. With that, all other spam emails will be sent to the trash without me worrying about my emails bouncing and whatnot. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment